Novak Construction Company, a highly-regarded, privately-held firm, is seeking an experienced Sr. Estimator with an architectural or construction management background. This position is responsible for evaluating bid specifications and drawings, ensuring that everything required to bid successfully and to win the project. This person will assist in preconstruction/value engineering and budgeting, as well as following up on bids and budgets to secure the project. This elite team performs pricing and analyses for the spectrum of projects; retail, industrial, Institutional, multi-family/SLFs. The Project Estimator reports to the VP, Preconstruction.
- Prepares and maintains status of plan reproduction;
- Solicits and maintains communication with subcontractors and vendors;
- Prepares subcontractor bid packages;
- Transmits addenda and other bid information to subcontractors;
- Ensures that there is proper coverage from subcontractors on bid day;
- Contacts supply houses to obtain additional subcontractor bids;
- Shows creativity and resourcefulness to gain better pricing from subcontractors; and,
- Submits 100% of bids and budgets by the bid deadline.
- Review bid requirements thoroughly and ask follow-up questions on every bid;
- Have a thorough understanding of the scope for specific trades assigned;
- Develops RFIs and clarifications, and ensure adequate subcontractor coverage;
- Perform a comprehensive “bid day” analysis and scoping of specific assigned trades;
- Understand how to fit subs to the size/scope of project; and,
- Create bid lists that fit scope of job, ensuring that the right subs for the project are secured.
- Properly turn over bid documents and sub-buyout information to Project Management in a timely manner. Goal is 100% of awarded projects turned over within 24 hours of notification;
- Review drawings with Project Management team and highlight areas of concern;
- Review job cost with Project Management team and highlight any subs/material vendors that still need to be awarded; and,
- Thoroughly checks requirements to buy the proper scope;
- Awards subs in a timely manner to ensure release of materials;
- Ensures that subs are aware of – and commit to – the project schedule;
- Provide subs with as much information as possible (PM, Super, permit status, etc.);
- Seek and qualify new subcontractors; and,
- Hold subcontractors to Novak Construction standards.
- Min. 10 years’ experience;
- Bachelor’s Degree in Architecture (preferred), Mathematics or Construction Management required;
- Highly proficient with MS Office software, particularly Excel. Familiarity with Pantera, iSqFt, or OnScreen Take-off, or other bid software packages desirable;
- Strong mathematical, analytical, communication (verbal and written) and interpersonal skills;
- Must be self-motivated and punctual, and able to manage multiple tasks and meet deadlines;
- Possesses excellent follow-up skills, both internally and externally;
- Must be professional and polished in appearance and speech;
- Aptitude to be detail-oriented, yet flexible, in a dynamic environment with changing priorities and simultaneous deadlines;
- Possesses excellent collaborative skills to work in partnership with colleagues;
- Strong work ethic with the highest degree of honesty, integrity and discretion; and,
- Prior work experience in a privately-held company will prove beneficial, but not necessary.
Compensation & Benefits: This is a full-time position and a competitive salary will be offered. Medical/Dental/Life Insurance, 401(k) with generous match, and paid holidays/time off comprise the basic benefits package.
Application: For immediate consideration, submit resume to firstname.lastname@example.org.